Sunday, January 16, 2011

Too fun not to share

I've just finished the most difficult part of my day. Laying out and piecing together two sweet appliqués. Tomorrow I get to stitch them on and add all the fun little details that make it come alive. This is my favorite part of creating...watching it come together right before my eyes. Of course it doesn't just happen. Lots and lots of hours go into each creation. Truly a labor of love or I wouldn't do it.

Since writing my appliqué tutorial I've figured out that it's beneficial to piece them together separate from the item it's going on. I find this much easier to do when there are so many tiny pieces. Long handled tweezers really help too. That way, should I make a mistake it's much easier to correct at this stage. I keep the backing on as much as possible and peel and lift and place all th piece one by one, ironing them in place, until it's finished.
This morning I started drawing out all the little pieces that make up the whole drawing.

Photobucket

And by 9:30 tonight I had this...

Photobucket
Isn't his black bow just the cutest? That's going to be fun to satin stitch over! You may think I'm kidding,
but I'm serious. I love that part.

Ok, so it didn't actually take all day. We went to church, had lunch, Amy stopped by for a fitting and later, dinner with another family. It just felt like it took all day.

Photobucket
*Oops, looks like a lost the black piece inside the heel. Note to self: cut a new one.

With all the layers in this one I'm definitely going to pull out the needle nose pliers to help pull my embroidery needle through. Do you think that's what they had in mind when they invented that tool? Needle nose pliers? I should add that to my favorite tools list. It sure saves my fingers.

Amy and I are putting the finishing touches on ten new pieces this week. Eeek!
And our photoshoot is this Saturday. Double eeek!

3 comments:

Tammy said...

How awesome! Can't wait to see them all.

Jessica said...

Ooooh, needle nose pliers!!! Thanks for the great tip! I could have really used those when I was making Hudson's turkey tee and had to push my way through 4 layers with the embroidery needle - ouch!

Thanks for the super fun sneak peek! Just what I needed after a tough day. Can't wait to see it all finished :)

Heather L. said...

Wow, you are so talented! There is no way I could ever, ever do that. I am very "cutting" challenged.

Can't wait to see the final product!