Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Dining Room Reveal

This summer/fall I finally broke out the paint brushes and painted my $30 Goodwill hutch. I didn't get fancy with the paint. I just used what I had on hand from my TV stand. Behr Premium primer-in-one, semi-gloss, color matched to Benjamin Moore's White Dove. Two coats, just sanding to distress and then a coat of wax was applied with a brush and buffed off. I'm so glad I went with all white. Now it won't matter what color accessories I dress it up with. *Someone keeps wiping off my chalk labels. Grrr... And I will teach myself how to crochet this winter so I can make little coasters to go under the glass jars. I'm worried they will scratch the paint, so for now, pot holders and a dish towel do the job.

 photo Dining005_zps49205120.jpg
I also finished the new-to-me hutch that came with our new Craigslist table.
 photo
Dining019_zpsf3b81b2e.jpg
I bought Behr's regular paint in satin, color matched to Benjamin Moore's Old Pickup Blue. I used this home-made chalk paint recipe too.

3 parts paint
1 part plaster of Paris
water

*First whisk enough water into the P.O.P. to make it smooth like a pancake batter (you don't want any lumps). Then add the paint and stir. You don't want to use a paint with primer in it or it will dry out too fast. The P.O.P. already helps it dry fast which is another bonus.

I love the final texture of it and how the brush strokes really disappeared. I do wish I had sanded the piece first (I did NO sanding on the body of this) because there is a bit too much of the original orange stain peeking through after distressing. Chalk paint flakes off quite easily so it was hard to distress it just a little. I sealed it with wax and it has worn really well the last month or so.
 photo
Dining023_zpsa4b72dfd.jpg

I love how smooth this finish is. Like butta!

 photo
Dining021_zps355b71f1.jpg

Now for the table itself. I must say this was an almost-didn't-happen project. I tried to take the easy way out and use a varnish stripper on the table instead of sanding down to the wood grain and that was a terrible mistake. Mostly because I didn't go into the store with a certain brand in mind. I didn't read any reviews, just picked up the one I thought sounded best. Don't ever do that! The stripper was terrible. It wouldn't scrape off, just became a hard layer of gunk that in the end I had to sand off anyway. It took hours, and hours, and hours... And in the end I didn't realize how thin the pine veneer was on the table and ended up sanding right down to plywood in a few places. Oops! There went my dream of just staining the top a dark brown. Now I was left with spray painting the top black. In the end it turned out just fine, but I look forward to the day when I can just walk into a store and buy what I want to furnish my home. Someday... For now, this still works and it's awfully cute.

 photo Dining025_zps86fc2ce3.jpg
I had really wanted to use the chalk paint recipe on the table and chairs, but since I started with the hutch and didn't use it for that I thought it would be too noticeable to have such a different texture in the same room. In hind sight I should have just gone with it anyway. Plain laytex paint (even with the primer-in-one) wants to peel. And when I went to distress the chairs, boy did they peel. More sanding and paint touch-up later they are much better. Chalk paint would have been tons easier. But it's done now and I'm not giving it another thought.

 photo Dining028_zps04b8762a.jpg

My favorite part was covering the seat cushions in a laminated fabric. This is the first time we've had padded seats in our kitchen and I just knew basic fabric wouldn't cut it. These have been really great! It's from Heather Bailey's Nicey Jane line. She sells the laminated on her site too.

 photo Dining027_zpsc24602a1.jpg

David liked the green so much that he said he could live with the pink in there too. The olivey green pulls out the darker green in the curtains. I love that the flower centers are red and picks up the red cherries in the curtains. 
This whole room is just sunshine to me. I love it!

 photo Dining030_zpsab3aaf79.jpg

Speaking of red! Here is my newly painted kitchen trash bin. Until now it's always been a stained wood. I added the lettering and distressed it of course.
Surprisingly people still ask where the trash bin is.  ;)

 photo Dining018_zpsec6e68e7.jpg

And I love this new addition. Polka dot glasses by Southern Living at Home. Long since retired and only to be found on eBay. I scored these 12 glasses for $38 total. Woo hoo!

In the middle of my table is a metal tray from Ikea. I have a cute owl vase for pencils on it and the little orange pot has more erasers. This is homework central every day after school.
 photo Dining007_zps93c3a4fd.jpg

These sweet deer from World Market are just waiting to hop out of there this Friday.

 photo
Dining011_zps4de8c181.jpg

I added hooks in the kitchen for the kids backpacks. I still need to fill the holes and paint it white, but we've been using it for months now and it really helps with the after school clutter. Our home is small and cozy. We really live here. So if I need backpacks hung in the kitchen to stay sane, then that's what I'm gonna do.
 photo
Dining031_zpsac8e5e54.jpg
You can kind of see below that the dining table is super close to the sliding door. And that our 6th chair is actually in the living room. Oh boy! This was another learning moment for me. I had no idea that this table was really only meant to hold 4 chairs around it. The chairs themselves are really wide across the front. In order to have two chairs next to each other on the long side, you have to have the leaf in it. We tried it without for a few weeks and it was terribly annoying. So, yes, all for the sake of "pretty" I swapped my mom's old table (which is now in my uncles home) that seated 10, for this new table, that in our home can only fit 5 chairs around it. Oops! Live and learn, right?
It sure is pretty though. And I do love having it. It will just make moving to a bigger house in a couple years that much more fun. Right?
 photo
Dining013_zpsa35668ac.jpg
This little side table got a couple coats of chalk paint too. Love it!
 photo
Dining017_zps7d33d408.jpg
 photo
Dining015_zpsa87ab086.jpg
Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends.

5 comments:

SunshineDays said...

Wow so so beautiful! Wish I had your talent, my teeny tiny home could do with a spruce up!
Can't wait for the stockings!

Jessica said...

It's so bright and pretty in there, Angel!! Love all your projects! Happy Thanksgiving sweet friend!

Amber said...

Love it all!!!! I too have hooks for book bags and coats. It is right when you walk in the door. Not always pretty, but functional!

I used paint with primer when I made the chalk paint recipe. It did just fine :) However, I do have to say it doesn't distress anything like Annie Sloan CP. It sands off like powder. Anyway, love how your home is all coming together.

Julie Bigboy said...

So beautiful, I love all the little details! You did a lovely job with everything.

Terry Legan said...

Hi Angel, Your dining room is lovely. I really love the chalk board. Beautiful way to display scripture! I came over from a Pin to look at your applique tutorial. I love your letter L.
Your blog is lovely. I have enjoyed my visit. I am following and following your Pinterest. Come by and see me. It was very nice meeting you.
Blessings,
Sherry