Wednesday, April 3, 2013

It's been quite the spring break.

We had such beautiful weather last Saturday that David decided to take the kids on their first bike ride of the season. It ended with a trip to the ER early Easter morning when we realized that under all the cuts and abrasions Allison got from crashing her bike, was a broken arm. Ouch! We are finding out that she has a high tolerance for pain. She had trouble sleeping that night but never told us and the doctor was even surprised it was broken because she was so calm and only rated her pain a six out of ten (on their smiley face chart).

 photo Easter055_zpsfb2f9608.jpg

As if that wasn't enough, we then went ahead with the surgery to remove her tonsils and adnoids on Tuesday. Yeah, I feel pretty bad about that right about now. She's had a tough day. Nausea has thrown her recovery off track some, staying late at the hospital and not keeping enough down today. But I think we have turned a corner. She actually gave me a spontaneous hug while I made mashed potatoes for her at 2:30.
 photo Easter061_zpsf237497a.jpg

This photo was taken as we were leaving the hospital. Trying to time it well enough between bouts of throwing up and anti-nausea meds to make it the 10 minute drive home. We made it! Oh and apparantly three puppy dog stickers will get you smiles too. Need to remember that. She chose puppies over princesses.
 photo Easter065_zpsa8af566e.jpg

I hear the worst is still ahead of us. But Daddy might have just saved the day by bringing home Dream Lites for all the kids mid-morning when he picked up more anti-nausea meds. She keeps checking to see if her batteries are done charging. Honestly we've been really holding off on buying these since it seems like a terrible waist of $90. But none of them have let up in the wanting and this morning when I asked if she was sad, she nodded "yes". Then I asked if it was because it hurts a lot more than she was expecting, she nodded "yes" again. About broke my heart. She's been wearing a constant frown and I know she's hurting. Yet she's able to tell me she's only a two on the pain rating. Very tough girl! So if that Dream Lite tonight puts even a hint of a smile on her face, I can live with another "cheesy" toy they will eventually be bored of, in the house.

By the way, don't ever Google the surgery your child is about to have. Not good, not good. I am looking forward to these next 12 days being over with so I can not think about all the possible bad things that could still happen. Yet I am also enjoying the snuggle time with my girl. She so rarely wants to snuggle with me.

We still need to get a permanant cast on her. She will miss soccer this spring but that's better than swimming during the summer. Next, we will have to figure out how she is going to navigate school after she misses an extra seven days, without the use of her dominant arm (writing, bathroom breaks, lunch, carrying a backpack, switching from bus to carpool, etc...). One day at a time, while trying NOT to worry.

"So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:24


7 comments:

Young Adventures... said...

Poor girl! I'm so glad that she is feeling better. She is such a little trooper. Praying for you guys.

Kris said...

Oh your poor sweet girl. Speedy healing prayers your way!!
xo Kris

Mandy said...

Bless!!
Praying here, sweet friend. I hope she's mended up quick!

Julie said...

Aw, man. What a rough week...on all of you I am sure. Hope her recovery is speedy.

Jessica said...

Love the splint design, Allison! We're praying you through this...hang in there brave girl!

Unknown said...

Poor sweetheart! Will send my prayers for a quick recovery :)

Between You and Me said...

I'm so sorry that a broken arm and surgery were part of your spring break. :( praying for your little one as she is on the mend.