Thursday, June 14, 2012

TaDa! {Finished: a Girls' Room}

Get ready for a sweetness overload. I've finally finished the girls "new" big girl room. Have you been following along? Before getting bunk beds last year, my twins shared this room across the hall, which is now  Sam's room. I'm so glad to finally be done! Today I find myself making up excuses to keep coming in here. It's my new happy place. And the girls are quite please with it too.

Photobucket

My goal this summer is to complete one big project a week. So far I'm on a roll. We'll see how long it lasts.

My biggest project will be getting Allison to read by herself. Any tips?

Photobucket

I don't know why this one took me a year to get to. Probably because I had no idea what I would put up there. I just kept collecting ideas {here} and mulling it over until I felt confident I could come up with something I'd be happy with. I didn't take a before photo because I'm sure you can imagine blank walls. Literally. nothing. on. the. walls. until. yesterday. This took about two days to complete (not including the embroidered wall hanging that I made last week). I pulled from what I already had on hand, spray painted and painted and painted, cut out the silhouette, sewed buttons and tweaked and tweaked until it was done. I think I waited so long because I thought I didn't have enough stuff. Boy was I surprised when I kept finding things I had forgotten about.

Photobucket

I adore this little shelf.  It started out as my mom's. She painted it bright yellow in the 70's and I changed it to white in the 90's. Then last year I painted it red, but promptly changed my mind and painted it black when I moved my sewing area downstairs. It's been sitting in my closet ever since. I didn't actually have wall space for a black shelf. Oops! I think it's very happy in aqua now. Don't you?

It's especially happy to be out of my closet. ;)

Photobucket

My sweet collection of spool Dollies from a dear friend. You can buy your own {here}. You better hurry though, she's selling the last of them at 50% off!!! The little embroidered puppy is on a doll sized apron, but folded up in the frame until I can think of something I like better there or decide to actually finish the apron. But knowing me, it will just stay there for like forever. Or longer.

Photobucket

Buttons. Just because.  They make me happy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A favorite photo. You know why...

Photobucket

Can you tell I adore color? It just makes me happy. We all need a little sunshine don't we? For instance, today is a dark and stormy day, it feels like night. The You Are my Sunshine print is very special to us as Allison and my dad sang that together last summer, shortly before he passed away. It is of course from {here}along with the three 5x7 cards I have yet to buy (these are just stand-ins to make sure I liked them there).

Photobucket

I love that I was able to bring out all the little things I remember from my rooms growing up. Now they are a part of my girls' beginning too. The birdhouse lamp and standing mirror have always been favorites.

Sweet corner shelf, Irmi lightswitch cover.

Photobucket

Little girl my mother made for me a lifetime ago.

Photobucket

Prayer for a Little Girl plaque hung with velvet ribbon.

Photobucket

Stationary from the 70's. *swoon*


Photobucket


And some new things of my own making for my special girls.  I adore this photo but love it even more as a silhouette. it was super easy to make. Just follow my tutorial {here}, it's the same process.

Photobucket

More happy buttons.

Photobucket

And my favorite piece of all. Inspired by this gorgeous one on Etsy. My budget was nill and I wanted more color anyway. But I also wanted them each to have something handmade, this one by me and the little girl by my mother. They can fight over who gets what later. For now they are both theirs to enjoy. I used a font by my cousin Crystal of Tart Workshop. It's called Bookeyed Suzanne.  Love how talented that girl is!.

Photobucket

I love the french knots and the ric rac under the edges of the hoop.

Photobucket

Now this piece really deserves it's own post, but I don't want to wait. ;)  Not only do I have the Irmi lightswitch cover and matching lamp, I have an Angel mobile too! This has been tucked away for 35 years and I've considered doing lots of different things with it, including making Christmas tree ornaments out of it. But I'm glad I waited. I think it's fun to see it hanging as it was intended (minus the crib of course).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

But wait, it gets better!

Not only do I have this one, there is also a Nursery Rhyme mobile. My best guess is that these were bought at the same time not knowing if I were a boy or girl.

How sweet of them to tell us how to open the box. ;)

Photobucket

Photobucket

This little girl is supposed to be the spoon. Don't worry, I couldn't tell at first either.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The music box does not work.

Photobucket

This one is getting tucked back in the closet until the perfect inspiration for it comes along.

I can be patient.

I will be patient.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I love how many memories and handmade things you have given them. What a lovely room!

Michelle said...

AMAZING! Beautiful work, Angel! I love how you've brought in special items from your own childhood. Such a pretty room, I bet your girls love it!

jennifer said...

Lets see...trying to decide which detail is my favorite! The silhouette? The hand stitching?? The button heart??? Wow. You did a great job!

Amber said...

Love everything about it!!! I am ordering the sunshine print for the nursery and also pinned the cute button heart :) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the embroidery you did....love that saying (are taking orders...hehe). Love how cheerful it feels! I know the girls will cherish it in years to come!

Amber said...

Love everything about it!!! I am ordering the sunshine print for the nursery and also pinned the cute button heart :) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the embroidery you did....love that saying (are taking orders...hehe). Love how cheerful it feels! I know the girls will cherish it in years to come!

Jessica said...

Love all the sweet details, especially the new silhouette photo and that darling embroidered art hoop! So glad you're finally able to display the spool dollies! :)

Liz Adams said...

Beautiful beautiful beautiful! I love it. And all the sweet color. You do such a great job with color wish I had that nack. I also love all your attention to detail. Found your blog when looking up silhouettes. I make and sell them on Etsy but I liked your different approach. Mine are done digitally. :) I found your blog!