Thursday, April 19, 2012

making progress

We are hosting a dinner for 10 here this Sunday, so I thought it was about time I made some holes in my walls. Having painted recently I've been more indecisive than ever. And with no time to scout out antique and thrift shops (and really no budget to speak of), I finally had to make do with what I had on hand.

Photobucket

I'd love to add some decorative plates along the sides of these pieces. {Here} are my faves so far. But they are toooooo spendy.

My real dream for this space was a granny chic collage of beautiful things. Could the people that designed either of {these} {spaces} please come to my house and work your magic?

Tomorrow I plan on sewing up some pillow covers for this room too. Eeek!

Photobucket

This little frame and oil painting were literally thrown together. Not that you could tell, right. Ha! They are just saving a place until I can make {this sign} myself. I'd like to make a different sign for each season to swap out. I bought that little oil painting intending to use it in a collage over the couch. If I don't find plates I like, I may look for more paintings about this size instead.

Photobucket

It's a little redundant with the chalkboard just to the left. This makes me laugh!

Photobucket

This mirror is a lovely swap from a friend. I'm making her a sheet music wreath for over her piano. I love how it opens up the hallway and reflects many of the things I love in the living room.

Photobucket

This wall used to be a collage of frames. But after filling all those holes and repainting I didn't have the heart to add anything. The wall ledges from Ikea have been hiding under my bed for well over a year. They were purchased with this wall in mind and now they are finally in their rightful spot. The frames I bought didn't quite work, they were too thick and kept falling off. Three falling down all at the same time was quite a challenge you could say. So I stole these white frames from the kids bathroom. Hence, the bathroom black and white photos. Those two photos are just saving a spot until{these}{beauties} arrive. Oh how I love Katie Daisy!

Photobucket

The real reason for anything at all on this wall, is to hide the thermostat. Success!

These ledges are a little tricky. I wish they were deeper. I don't see how anyone is able to layer their frames so beautifully like {this}, {this} and {this}. Mine kept wanting to tip forward. But maybe if I had shorter frames that would help. I'm also kind of wishing I had bought white ledges, so these may get painted at some point. Or not, considering that my list of things to paint is longer than my arm.

Photobucket

But the biggest change of all, I think, is the addition of curtains in our room. We've had nothing but the blinds for two years, so I'm super excited to have it done. I cut the grommet tops off of Ikea curtains and hemmed them all last night. That. was. a. lot. of. work. Unfortunately they are all 1/2" too long. Grrr.... That will get fixed, oh, maybe...never.

Photobucket

Last fall I also changed our black floral bedding to this lovely yellow Matine bedding from Pottery Barn. At first I thought it was too much yellow, but now that the curtains are up, I think it's perfect. I found all the yellow pieces on eBay for about $100 less. Score! And I bought the embroidered dot sheets and monogrammed pillowcases directly from PB. Can I just say, these sheets are a nightmare! I've had 400 tc sheets that have been just as wrinkly, and I was hoping since these were percale that they'd be different. No such luck, I have to iron them like crazy to get them to even look this good. And the monogram puckers no matter how much steam or water I spray on it while ironing. Does anyone know of a good sheet set that comes out of the dryer nice and flat?

Photobucket

I also changed the fabric background on my jewelry frame to just white. And these red baskets should really be spray painted something else. Black, white or aqua? I can't decide. What do you think?

Photobucket

And...another upcoming project. Making a white slipcover for this $40 craigslist find. It was the perfect shape and price, love it! Miss Mustard Seed has a wonderful video how-to on this. I'm looking forward to starting this one, mostly so I don't have to look at a pink chair in my room any more. ;)

Photobucket




2 comments:

Amber said...

Love all the changes!! I am glad I am no the only one having problems putting holes in my freshly painted walls! However, I am getting tired of the "just moved in" feel it gives :)

Love Katiee Daisy. I have a few of her prints and want so many more! I bought the 8x10 and now I am wishing I went with the larger prints.

Love the bedding. No tips on the sheets. However, my cheap sheets from JCPenney come out of the dryer so much nicer than Reese's more expensive Martha Stewart set.
I vote aqua for the baskets :)

Cynthia said...

I love all of your ideas! I really like the chalkboard and the saying on it. I have the yellow rose pillow from Target. I have seen it on countless blogs!!!