Monday, June 27, 2011

Camping {Split Rock Lighthouse & Gooseberry Falls}

We had THE best time camping with our kids. David and I used to go all the time, but it's been 7 years. This was our kids' first time at a real campground and we look forward to making this an annual trip. Split Rock is only a 4 hour drive north. We stayed at their campgrounds, but I think next time we'll try the grounds at Gooseberry Falls. Carting all our stuff in the 2.5 blocks was no pic nic. Tear-down took us 2 hours and we were hurrying. I can see the benefit of owning a little camper trailer now.

We had a fun site that was very private and the kids loved climbing up the rocky hill behind us to go on their adventures.

Photobucket

I panicked a little as we were leaving because we didn't pack games or activities to keep them occupied. Silly me! Who needs toys when you have rocks to throw, trails to hike, ropes to swing on and chipmonks, squirrels and butterflies to chase. They played better with each other this week-end, than they do at home. Proving that you don't need "stuff."

Is another garage sale in my future? ;) I just made $500 at one last week-end. I'm still giddy about that.

"Look at Mom and smile everyone..."

Photobucket

...works a little better after you have them give their brother a smooch. Though still not perfect, it did get their little bodies and heads closer. I'll have to try this one again soon.

Photobucket

Well...at least it made Brother smile.

Photobucket

In an effort to not come home with pockets full of rocks, I announced that they could only bring home a rock if it was heart-shaped (thinking that would never happen). Not two minutes later and Allison had found this one. Which of course lead to everyone needing to find one so it was fair. We ended up with 5 of them, though none as perfect as that first one.

Photobucket

The reason we came...

Photobucket

The view up here is pretty amazing.

Photobucket

It's no wonder Split Rock is the most visited lighthouse in the world.

Photobucket

Once the lighthouse was built, in 1910, not a single ship has been lost since. Just 5 years before, 29 ships had been wrecked in one giant storm. Lake Superior, the largest lake in the world (in surface area), actually gets hurricanes with 30' high waves. The first 2 assistant lighthouse keepers died just taking their boats up the coast to get the mail. There were no roads up here at all, everything came by ship.

Photobucket

Silly photo with closed eyes, wind and barbed wire. But at least I was there, right? ;)

Photobucket

Photobucket

We are going back this fall and I'll have my new camera by then. Can't wait!

Photobucket

My favorite people all in a row.

Photobucket

I think he got a little tired of me telling them all how to line up. I thought it would never happen.

"Just let me enjoy the view Mom!"

Photobucket

Happier just throwing rocks.

Photobucket

"Are you still taking pictures?"

Photobucket

The girls are really into "Bible Study" lately. They always want to stay up late and say "Hi" to our friends that come for Bible study on Thursdays. We now officially need a babysitter to get them to bed so I can stop missing the group. So, Allison made sure Daddy packed their Bible so they could have their own Bible study while camping. Oh how I love these girls!

Photobucket

The next day we visited Gooseberry Falls. I'm going to figure out which of these photos to duplicate every year so we can see an age progression.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Love this gnarled tree.

Photobucket

What is this??? At least I was there though, right? ;)

Photobucket

That's better!

Photobucket

Can't wait until they get older and we can all take our shoes off and walk across the rocks below. I'm thinking when they're 20 sounds good. ;)

I was amazed at how many little kids were running around so freely. I of course kept my eye on them like a Mother Hen. Playing different scenarios in my mind of how I would save them from going over a cliff or floating down the river. The water was so loud there, would anyone hear my screaming for more help? Am I weird, or do you do the same thing?

Photobucket

David was surprised that I didn't have any photos of him with the kids when he walked right up to the base of the Falls with them one at a time. I had to explain that I was busy saving everyone else in my head and didn't have time to take pics, so this is the best I got. ;)

Photobucket

Sam could barely keep his eyes off the swirling water below him. Wonder what was going through his mind? I'm sure he felt very safe in his daddy's arms.

Photobucket

My brave girls! What fun memories we are making with them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This little man is all boy!

Photobucket

Such good friends.

Photobucket

She would have slept with binoculars around her neck if we let her.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ooooo...this could be a fun one to duplicate! By the time they are teenagers (or sooner) I'm sure I'll be sitting on the ground. ;)

Photobucket

Tonight David and I are taking in a Twins game (this is actually what our view will be, we are in that section). Tomorrow the kids and I are going to make snow cones while playing in the backyard. Then Wednesday we are heading out early to pick strawberries with friends, we'll make jam in the evening and and then see Cars 2 on thursday. Also taking photos with my dad sometime this week too. Busy...busy...busy!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm so not a camping girl but this post makes me want to go NOW! What a fun weekend! Love Allison's rock - what a perfect reminder of God's infinite love. Great pics...love the one from the back. Next time I'm that way (he he he) I want to go to Gooseberry Falls!!!

The One and Only said...

Your kids are so beautiful....and just to let you know, I think about how I'm going to save my son ALL THE TIME!! I get tired just doing that, but hey, you always have to be prepared, right?

Folly said...

Angel, this is a gorgeous post! I now need to add this place to my "places to visit" when (one day) I make it to America. :-)
I am the same when there is possible danger - I can't take a photo, because I lose sight of the big picture of where everyone is! Even when I'm just down at the park with two kids and a dog I'll manage to lose one of them when I start taking photos, LOL!
Michelle.

Leslie @ top of the page said...

oh my gosh i would have been sooo nervous about the falls and my kids! but WHAT an adventure. i love lighthouses as my husband and i got engaged next to one. such a pretty spot. wowza.

and hey - what's the story deleting your wonderful comment from my post!! i loved what you shared and am so glad i was able to read it on my phone before it disappeared. thanks for introducing yourself though :) great to meet you and your family.