Saturday, December 11, 2010

the {almost} present

Do you remember my obsession with vintage felt and sequin ornaments? I've been collecting vintage Bucilla kits for years and this week I finally cracked one open. Ahhh...total and complete love.

Every year I say I'm going to start working on them, but I'm not in the mood until December is here and by then it seems too daunting a task. I finally found out that they are really quite easy. As I was working on them this week, I started calculating how many I could finish in time for gift giving this year. I think I was up to 10, with five lucky recipients.

But then something I hadn't expected happened.

Photobucket

You see, the kit I chose to work on first was this jolly fella and his sidekick (the ^ photo shows my newly finished set). I chose this one because I already had a set on my tree and figured if I got lost in the directions I could figure it out by looking at the finished ones. And because I already had them, I figured I could part with these fairly easily.

But what I didn't expect, was the wave of emotion that washed over me as I sat there in my living room, next to the soft glow of our Christmas tree, and realized that my hands were doing the

. exact . same . thing .

that my mother had done some 30 years before. That was a powerful moment and one I will never forget.

So, how could I possibly give these away? They are definitely not something I can part with lightly.

I'm working my way up to it and think that if I finish all of my favorite kits first (including our stockings), that I might be ready next year to give some to people I know will truly treasure them. But not the jolly guy and his sidekick though. Those will be mine f-o-r-e-v-e-r.

So I will continue to stalk them on eBay and buy up as many as I can. There are also several sets I'd like from this fun site. Bucilla even brought back the Wizard of Oz design this year. Yep, totally adore those! I better buy duplicates as much as possible so I'm not tempted to keep them all.

In the meantime, I'll keep dreaming about a Christmas tree dripping with these soft, sparkly ornaments. I may even go so far as to buy some tinsel...he he he. Our tree is quite full already, but there is plenty of room left. I also plan to make a new one for each of our children every year too so they have some for their tree when they leave the nest. I'm pretty sure I'll be making these year round, they are the perfect lap project for movie nights.

If you are looking for a thoughtful, labor-of-love kind of gift to give, you should really try making some of these sequin and felt ornaments. They are fairly straight forward and quick to make. You still have time to order from here.

You just never know what impact
they might have on the ones you love.

4 comments:

Lula Bee Boutique said...

Angel, these are just gorgeous! What a powerful moemt for you too! I have been looking at them too...my Granny used to make these and no one (including her) knows where hers are. I so want to do the stockings too...and a tree skirt...and and and...thanks for posting this!

Kimberly said...

We have those! My husband's mom made one each year for each of her children when they were growing up. Now she makes them for her grandchildren, too. My husband has the Wizard of Oz ornaments (and many others) and my son has the Pinnochio set. I love them.
She wishes Bucilla still made the kits. The newer kits that they put out in the late 80's until now are less sequined and such.
I COMPLETELY get that feeling of treasuring each one!!

micah and betsy said...

what a neat moment! what a lucky lady your mom was! you are a mothers dream daughter! i'm so glad that you can look at these kinds of projects with such love! what a beautiful gift you are giving to your own children!

valentinegirl said...

I love these too!! Yours are so pretty....