Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Calling all prayer warriors

My dad was taken to ICU last night. His blood pressure was dropping rapidly yesterday and they thought maybe he was “septic”. I stayed until midnight last night when they told us he was stable (that was with a 75/43 blood pressure). But this morning it’s still not under control. They’ve been giving him blood to increase the volume (thus increase the pressure) and now he’s on meds that are supposed to help. However, they can only give him up to the max dose before that won’t help anymore. He’s halfway to that max dose and so far his body hasn’t kicked in to start regulating it today. If it doesn’t and they reach the max then they won’t be able to stop it from dropping completely. He would die. They said his condition is tenuous. Not sure exactly what that means to them.

David is picking the girls up from school today and then bringing them to the hospital to see him. He had wanted them to come at 11pm last night, but we decided to wait. I’ll stay home with Sam since he can’t be in the ICU, and then I’ll go back again tonight. My mom stayed with him all night. She said that he’s in good spirits, but also convinced he won’t live past tonight. He looks awful, like a typical chemo patient I guess. His stomach is greatly distended which can also mean the cancer has spread to the abdomen or may be part of that “septic” thing they were talking about. Mom forgot to ask the Dr. about that when he came in at 5am. She’ll ask the oncology Dr. when they hopefully visit this morning too. They just did a chest extra since he also has pneumonia (which alone is not good) and they’re doing blood work. He had just finished up an intense round of chemo (he has terrible mouth sores from that) and yesterday his body rejected a platelet transfusion he had (just one of many). Please keep him in your prayers today. It could be a pivotal day for him.

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

What a difficult thing for your father and family to be going through. I'm so sorry. A prayer has already been offered for your father and family.

Jenn said...

So sorry to hear about your Dad struggling Angel. We are praying for peace and God's guidance for you and your family!!!

Young Adventures... said...

Angel,
I am so sorry that your Dad and family are going through this. My heart is hurting for all of you. Our God is a mighty God who loves your Dad dearly!! We are praying for all of you.

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

I will most definitely be holding you all close in my prayers today, Angel. Please let us know if there's anything more we can do.

And though your plate is full, could you please keep us in your prayers as well? I found out on Friday that I have breast cancer and we are beginning to take the first steps on what promises to be a tough but hopeful journey. The doctors assure us that I will be cured. I just need to find the strength to endure.

Sending you all lots of hugs and prayers ...

Jessica said...

Dear Heavenly Father,
We know that you can do immesurably more than all we can imagine or ask for, but most importantly you always do what is best for us. Today I ask you to please bring comfort and peace over Angel's dad and calm all his worries. Please guide the hands & the minds of the doctors and nurses that are caring for him in the hospital. Please show your abundant love to him, his wife, and his family in all the ways that they most need it now. May the peace that surpasses all understanding rest in each of their hearts today and every day forth.
Amen

Ruth H. said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I know how difficult it is to be with a loved one in the ICU. I will be praying for you, your family, and especially your dad that you might have strength and peace.

Heather L. said...

Angel, I am praying for your dad. I am so sorry this is happening. Both of my parents were in the hospital this week for different reasons, so I know how scared and helpless you must be feeling. May God hold your dad and your family in the palm of His hand.

Småenglenes verksted said...

I am so sorry your family has to go through this. I'm praying for your father and the rest you of you guys. Tone

Andrea said...

Praying for your Dad and the rest of you! Such a hard thing to go through...rest in the knowlegde that Jesus has everything under control.