Thursday, September 30, 2010

Update on my dad

I can't even tell you how comforting it is to know that so many people are praying for dad and our family. I told my mom yesterday and she was so glad to hear it. So thank you all SO much!

Just found out for sure that my dad has "Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia." He starts chemo tomorrow and will be in the hospital for 6 weeks straight. They will also give him a small does of steroid with it, but he's extremely allergic to it (makes him bonkers, yes, that's the actual word his Dr. uses since he's never been able to handle them for treating his MS) so they may have to pull that at some point. Most patients get high doses of steroids with chemo as that's the best combo.

They are also doing a chromosome test but won't have results back for a week. Depending on what the markers are he could have anywhere from 5-25 years. Please pray it's the 25 year type! He's also having a full CT scan and brain MRI today to see if there is anything else of concern. Please pray that nothing else turns up.

And to make this even harder, Sam has had a head cold and the rest of us could be carriers so we haven't been able to get to the hospital to visit him. His immune system is impaired right now and will be for some time. Please pray that we get healthy quickly and stay that way so we can visit him regularly.

Also, I'm thankful that my dad has been retired for a couple of years now and that my mom will be able to retire this April. and that they only live one mile from us. What a blessing that it is!

Thank you for all your prayers. Keep 'em coming.

((HUGS))
~Angel

6 comments:

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Praying for the best possible outcome for your Dad and your family, Angel. Keep us posted ....

((((HUGS))))

Muireann said...

Prayers for your dad, and all the family. I've also asked for (and received) prayers for him on a forum I'm on, I hope that's ok.

Angel said...

Thanks Colleen!

Muireann, that's wonderful. Thank you for thinking of him. :)

amber said...

Praying for you and your family. I hope your family gets better soon so you can visit your dad.

Jessica said...

Praying and keeping my sight on Him for the absolutely best outcome...I'm shooting for that 25 right there with you! Keep thinking..."to Him that is able to do immeasurably more than we could ask or imagine..."

Fix Sam of that yummy wild rice soup and he'll be A-OK in no time! :)
((((Hugs))))

twolittletots said...

Praying for the best possible outcome for your whole family.

Thank you for the update!