Thursday, May 20, 2010

Summer cooking

Now that summer is truly here (I'm talking sunshine and 80*) I can't wait to make lighter, more summery types of food. In a few minutes I'll be walking out to the backyard with the girls to pick rhubarb to make a crisp for Bible study tonight. Yum! What are your favorite summer foods?

Psst...I've got a fabulous chicken salad recipe from my friend Kim, to share with you soon.
I can't believe I've kept that one to myself all this time! Shame on me.


Last night I made the most tasty quiche ever.

Photobucket

I used what I had on hand, and this puppy was loaded up with tons of fresh asparagus and broccoli (that I sauteed first), plus ham, a few scallions, monterey jack, eggs and half and half. I made my own pie crust, leftover from the double crust recipe I made for Peanut Butter Pie last week, boy was that yummy (next time I'm using chocolate pudding and adding bananas to it), and it was flaky and delicious.

Photobucket

The best part was that all three kiddos ate it! Even Sam who's become a picky eater and generally won't put anything green in his mouth.

We even discovered that he's no longer allergic to eggs. Woo hoo!

The bottom looks a little wet here, but do not fear, it was sublime. I did pre-bake the pie shell, even though Betty will tell you not to. My quiche was loosely based on this recipe.

Photobucket

And speaking of summer cooking, while I was waiting for my Dr. the other day, I picked up the June issue of Family Circle (it's got this dessert recipe on the cover). I don't usually read this magazine, but it has something like 30 different salad recipes in it and they all looked great.

These two in particular...

Photobucket
Panzanella

Photobucket
Chopped Greek

I bought my own copy at the grocery store this morning. And an article I found fun to read was this one about two mom-preneurs in my own city that started a sign company. I've seen these signs around for garage sales in our area for a long time and always wondered about them. They are super cute and really catch your eye. Way to go ladies! I wish you great sales this year.

Photobucket

Oh and I couldn't help but notice the little ad for The Vintage Pearl in the back (also found it in All You magazine, wonder where else she is). Erin's fun little company is fast becoming a household name. Love that!

I'll be back to wrap up our week-end escapades soon, but that rhubarb is calling me.
I hope you are all having a beautiful day!


4 comments:

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

We're on the same wavelength this week, Angel! I picked up the same magazine the other day -- because of the mom business article, the salads, and desserts. And I made a rhubarb cake with lemon sauce. Oh ho!

Your summer cooking all looks divine and I'll be watching for that chicken salad recipe. Some of our faves include: Panzanella, Strawberry, Spinach & Feta Salad, Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad, and Broccoli Cauliflower Salad.

So fun catching up with all of your pictures and posts...

Amber said...

I love love love peanut butter and that pie looks and sounds delicious!!!! Yummy!

Young Adventures... said...

I love all the fresh veggies summer brings. I noticed the vintage pearl in All You as well. :)

Jessica said...

I can vouch for Angel's peanut butter pie - it was DELISH!!! We so enjoyed it! Thank you, Angel!