Thursday, May 13, 2010

My Mary and Martha Moment

"As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."" Luke 10:38-42

Photobucket

Yesterday I was being a Martha. Then David dared come in the same room as I, to remind me how having people over when I was growing up was sometimes a stressful thing and to be careful not to let it be for our girls. Ouch! That really stung, but it was so needed.

Do you find yourself scurrying around the house getting everything in order for company and forgetting what's really important? Who really cares if there are cobwebs in the corners? Who really cares that the tops of light-switch covers may have dust? Seriously! These were the things I was tending to around a bustling family and making them miserable in the process.

But then I was reprimanded by my husband. The man that God gave to me, to help make me the godly woman He desires for me to be. Then, I remembered Jessica saying to me (after I warned her that we live in a modest house) that it's the people she's coming to see, not the house. And then, I remembered what Jesus said to Martha. And finally...then, I learned my lesson. Though I'm sure it won't be the last time. What lessons do you struggle with learning?

It's easy when your spiritual gift is that of hospitality, to let it consume you. My favorite things to do are care for my home, cook and bake and then welcome people into my (hopefully) warm and inviting home. But to do it in such a way that I ruin it for my family in the process, and have to collapse in complete exhaustion after everyone has left just leaves me drained and well, alone.

Lord, thank you for the gentle (and not so gentle) reminders of what's important to you. And thank you for my sweet girls that were so excited just to see the flowers I brought home this morning. May company in our home always be a joyful experience for everyone, especially my family and especially in the days and hours leading up to those times. And bless our time with friends this week-end, may our conversations be pleasing to your ears. ~Amen

8 comments:

Terri said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds sooo much like me too, every bit! Thanks for putting everything in perspective for me for the next time my family comes to visit, so that I am not only driving myself crazy trying to get everything cleaned and organized, but so I dont make everyone else miserable in the process!! Jessica is right, it is the people they come to see, not the house, but its difficult for us creative ones to keep the projects too a miniumum and hang up our OCD tendencies!! Well spoken Angel!!

Kim G said...

Well said Angel. I can 10,000 % relate! Thank you, thank you, thank you for being so transparent.

I usually feel frazzled, sweaty and grumpy when my guests arrive and so bad for the way I have treated my kids and husband during the cleaning/cooking/prepping process. You are so right, it's those of us with the gift of hospitality that want everything just perfect. Our gift becomes somewhat of a curse when we are not in balance. Have a wonderful weekend, enjoy your company, and give your husband an extra kiss and hug for "keeping it real" with you.

Megilon said...

I do the same thing...go on a cleaning rampage every time we have company. Part of that is our pets but your post hits home. It isn't about the state of my house it is about the people coming.

My lesson that I still have a hard time is dealing with difficult people patiently. But then I think about all the difficult people Jesus dealt with.

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Me too, Angel! I can so relate. Thanks for the lovely deep breath reminder...

We are hosting several families for Todd's 15th college reunion in a few weeks -- lots of meals, prepping, cleaning, and preparing. And, I know, lots of fun with our sweet friends. I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed and I really needed this little reminder. THANKS!

I so hope you all have a blast this weekend!

Cheyenne said...

Thanks so much for your post! I stumbled on your blog through Little Pumpkin Grace's blog and just love looking through your site.

I relate to what you just wrote so much! I love to have company in, but go crazy beforehand trying to prepare. I know it's supposed to be about BLESSING, rather than impressing, but I sometimes lose perspective and need to stay prayerful and focused beforehand.

Thanks again!

Amber said...

What a great reminder! I always seem to get so rapped up in the cleaning and prep beofre company comes that I always fail to just enjoy the company. And unfortunately the house usually needs cleaned again after they leave.

BTW...I am finally at home on a comuter...yea!!! Glad to be back to normal and bloggin again!

Benn's Wife said...

I struggle with the same thing, but God is winning! I love to see when He has victory in our lives! Thanks for sharing.

Mariska said...

Just recognize what you describe here. I enjoy company, but am always kind of stressed to get ready beforehand. My hubby tries to remind me that nobody is perfect and that they are not coming to see how clean everything is. Thanks for putting things in perspective, great post!