Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sewing Q and A

Have any burning questions about sewing? Leave a comment on this post or e-mail me at tadacreations@gmail.com. I'll compile them later in the week and answer in a separate post, as best I can. I'm no sewing expert by any means, but I'll do my best to help you out. I had a request from one of my sweet readers just last week (though it could have been longer, the days are just zooming by) to do this. And, just telling you now, I know nothing about sewing with knits. But anything else is fair game. And no question is too dumb to ask! Seriously!

And here's a little info for anyone local. Just yesterday I signed Amy (you'll get a formal introduction very soon) and myself up to give a class on sewing little girls' boutique clothing, at our favorite quilt shop in the fall. It's fun to think that two years ago, Amy was sitting in the audience listening to me wander all over the topic of sewing, just embarking on her own sewing journey from quilts to clothes for her own daughter. I couldn't have done too bad a job, since she still wants to be my friend and now partner in crime. This time we'll have our daughters with us, sporting some of their outfits for an even better look at our samples (not just the clothesline display). So, if you are in the area and would like to attend, I'll be sure to let you know here, when the date is set.

11 comments:

Kris said...

You have a wonderful blog. And it brought me to your friend Jessica's blog, equally beautiful! I am constantly amazed at all of the YOUNG Mama's out there that sew! I thought it was a dying art among the younger generation. I have a blog too. I have kids your age, and grandkids your kids age! I am going to make a shirred top for each of my granddaughters!!!!

inday_adin said...

I love visiting your blog and all the cool stuff you have! I love what you did with your big girl room. I really do love it! :) Great job!

Adin B
http://itssewtasticmama.blogspot.com/2010/04/green-bag-ladys-40th-earth-day-freebie.html

shoppin4sophia said...

Well, since this was my idea, I guess I better leave some questions!
1.) What kind of sewing machine do you use? Does it have an embroidery attachment? Are you pleased with your machine.
2.) When you do ruffles, do you use a ruffler attachment on your machine?
3.) I have an unhealthy fear of zippers. Seriously, I break out in a cold sweat at the thought of putting in a zipper. Any advice?
4.) What was your experience as an Ebay seller of boutique clothes? When/if you go back to it, will you do anything different this time around?

shoppin4sophia said...

I thought of one more....

4) What brand of fusible web do you use with your applique? What kind of stabilizer do you use? Do you use different kinds of stabilizer with different kinds of fabrics?


I think I'm the biggest sewing nerd ever!

Sarah said...

Angel, so glad tada is going to be up and going again, b/c I love looking at your creativity. How fun that you found a partner... those late night projects are so much more fun with a friend; I bet you have a blast together! Hope you are having a great spring!

Between You and Me said...

I LOVE your blog...and I love your beautiful sewing. ahhhhhhh.. long sigh!!! I SO want to learn to SEW...but it's completely overwhelming to me.

Where do I start???

Heather said...

Oooh...how can I be sure to find out about your class? I'm in Bloomington and would love to attend. I'm currently working on the peasent dress, but the sleeves aren't turning out well. I do much better with sleeveless dresses. :)

Thendral said...

Your kids and their dresses are very cute. I love sewing. Your blog is wonderful.

Kori said...

You guys will Rock the boutique world together - Have fun with it all and you will love your work :)

leslie said...

Have you ever made piping and if yes then how do I do it???? I'm just learning to sew and I love it!

Jamee said...

refresher on zippers would be nice. making easy tags for clothes. making your appliques look professional and if i think of anything else i will definitely get back to you thanks