Monday, March 1, 2010

Dresses and Dolls and Dresses Oh My!

These past two days I've been furiously cutting out fabric for my girls' summer wardrobe. I know it doesn't seem like I've gotten much done, but believe me, with all the interruptions, this is as good as it gets lately. I've got these 4 to assemble tonight and then Easter outfits to make. So far I've used up 7 yards of fabric from my stash. But many, many more are slated for use.

I'm in a huge hurry now that I've signed on to make 4 dresses and matching dollies for a family in crisis (and 10 or so pillowcases). I'm excited to get started on that project in the next day or two and David has promised me extra sewing time. I love that God opened up this opportunity to serve a family in this way. I can just imagine the look on 4 little girls' faces, just in time for Easter. A family that probably hasn't had a lot to smile about for a while.



And I was reminded yet again, why I had to shut down my sweatshop. I dearly love to create. So when I get a chance to do it, I enjoy it immensely. Although, you'll see that these items won't have elaborate applique or even hand embroidery on them. They are quite simple. The fabric is what will make them shine. Back to the part that reminds me why I can only do this for short stints. My kitchen. I'll show you only if you promise not to look too closely. Don't analyze everything you see, just know that the rest of my house looks about this good (or worse) too.



All I can say about tonight is thank goodness for leftovers. Oh but did you see what Allison snuck into the first photo? She's requested a "party" today. The kind with streamers, balloons, candles and cake. And I can deliver (minus the streamers and balloons)! I guess I have some cleaning to do before we can mix up that strawberry cake. Uh oh!

Don't forget, a giveaway is coming this Friday! I'll show you everything else I have finished by then too, along with pattern info and changes I've made to them so you can make your own too. I hope you all have a good week! I may not get back here until Friday, what with all this fabric flying around here.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Love those sweet little dresses you are making!

And I love that amidst all the craziness you're carving out time to make something by hand WITH LOVE for the family in need.

You know that softie doll you made for Grace two Christmases ago is my most favorite non-furniture :) thing in her room! The little pumpkin is pretty crazy about it too :) I just know those 4 girlies are going to be over the moon happy when they receive theirs. What a blessing to that family!

Kacey said...

THAT'S WHAT MY HOUSE LOOKS LIKE WHEN I SEW TOO!!! What a sweet thing you are doing for that family. It will mean a lot to them, but the satisfaction that you will get will be even greater!! I can't wait to see the finished dresses. I love those fabrics!! I need to go through my stash and make the kids some spring and summer clothes!!

Stacy said...

I love the fabrics you chose for those dresses. Can't wait to see them all made up!

I am lucky in the housework department...the hubby cleans the kitchen as long as I do the cooking. I'd rather cook anyways. ;)

I totally understand about closing down your sweatshop, too. It's more fun to make what you want to make for yourself.

Oh, I have a new dress design I made up on my blog today if you want to see it. I'm really happy with how it turned out. :)

Lisa said...

LOVE these fabrics!!

SM Anderson said...

You are an amazing mom!

Angel said...

Awe, thanks for all the encouragement ladies!

Jessica, i can't believe I still have yet to make dolls for my girls. I think I'll do them with these other 4 . What's 2 more? LOL

Kacey, I'm so glad to hear that happens to your kitchen too! I mean, not that I'm glad you have more work to do. ;)

Stacy, cute, cute dresses you've made!!! We've kind of had that deal about cooking/cleaning, but it doesn't help much for breakfast or lunch. :(

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Oh, what sweet dresses you're making! And with such a big and generous heart.

The kitchen will keep...

I hope you're enjoying the creating!

Ashley said...

What an awesome blog you have! I recently found it and I love it!
You are very talented and now I wish I had a little girl to dress in all your creations!

ashley
http://littlemissmomma.blogspot.com