Saturday, February 6, 2010

Cooking Hits & Misses

The Hits

I made Stromboli for the first time ever tonight and it was soooooooo yummy. David loved it, the girls loved and Sam especially loved it. It's a keeper. I found it on Rhonda's blog and I'm so glad I happened upon it.

The girls and I made pudding from scratch yesterday. I adore Tapioca pudding so that was a hit for me. But before we got started cooking, the biggest hit of all came when Emily said to me "Oh goody, you are teaching us how to be a Mommy!" She just melted my heart. I adore my girls so much. And I consider it pure joy to be their mother.

The Misses

I tried to make the Stromboli for the first time on Friday. I had bought Rhodes frozen bread dough, just like Rhonda uses. I put it in my glass dish to let it rise and it didn't rise. I have the worst luck with frozen dough and yeast in general. I can't even tell you how many times I've ended up throwing it away or having to start over. So after seeing that it wasn't rising yesterday, I ended up changing to their quick-rise method and putting it in the oven with a pan of water. But, when it got to 200* I forgot to turn the oven off. I ended up cooking the bread! Bread or yeast and me just do not mix.

So after the pudding was cooled they each got to eat some of the pudding they had made. Allison had made the tapioca (her favorite) and Emily made chocolate (her favorite). Allison took one bite and left the table saying "I like the store kind better." Oh well, more for me.

The chocolate was completely executed wrong, by me. I've discovered that I'm terrible at reading instructions when I've got 2 wiggly girls standing in front of a hot stove and I'm trying to make the changes needed for chocolate pudding, from Betty's vanilla pudding recipe. Instead of changing the sugar from 1/3 cup to a 1/2 cup, I put in both a 1/3 cup and a 1/2 cup. It was gag-me sweet. And I also forgot to add the cocoa powder right away, before adding in the milk. It was lump city. But Emily and Sam both loved it.

No comments: