Friday, January 22, 2010

Awesome Chicken

I came across a wonderful recipe called Aussie Chicken. It's based on a dish that Outback Steakhouse serves. Though I've never ordered it. I come from the line of thought that you should order steak at a steakhouse, seafood at a seafood place, etc...

This chicken was so good, we've dubbed it Awesome Chicken. I've been making new recipes over here, left and right. A few have been flops (in my opinion), but others have been amazing. I found this one over at The Finer Things in Life. I brought it to a friend in need this week and her husband requested she get the recipe from me (here you go Sweetie!). David and all 3 kiddos loved this one too, so it's a keeper.

I didn't have time to take photos yesterday and we gobbled it up so fast I didn't think you'd want a photo of an empty casserole dish, so I'm using hers.

Photobucket

Aussie Chicken

  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
  • seasoning salt (I used Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning by McCormick because I'm not a fan of Lowry's)
  • 6 slices bacon, cut in half (go ahead and use more, you'll be glad you did)
  • 1/4 cup mustard (she doesn't specify so I used yellow, but next time I'll use Dijon)
  • 1/4 cup honey (I use more like 1/3 cup.)
  • 2 T. mayo
  • 1/2 Tbsp. dried onion flakes
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (I will slice them thinner next time)
  • 2 cups shredded Colby/Jack cheese

Sprinkle and rub the chicken breasts with seasoning salt. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp.

In a small bowl, mix the mustard, honey, mayo and dried onion flakes.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken in the skillet and saute for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until browned. Move chicken to a 9×13 pan.

Apply the honey mustard to each breast, then layer with mushrooms, bacon, and shredded cheese.

Bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and chicken is done. Be sure to cut into a breast to see that it is fully cooked before serving.

Serve with the extra honey mustard sauce.

Enjoy!

This recipe is linked to Colleen's Kitchen Recipe Swap.

2 comments:

Kacey said...

Yummy!! I will be making this for sure this week! It's what my Dh always orders from Outback, Alice Springs Chicken! I'm a steak eater at a steak place too! Have a great week!

Mandy said...

YUM!!!!
I LOVE the Alice Springs Chicken, I get that every time!

I'm going to try this recipe, thanks for sharing! :)