Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Day 16: Cookie Swap

One of my favorite things to do in December is spend hours in the kitchen, cooking and baking up a storm. The cooking, I've been doing, so I thought I should get a start on the baking. Yesterday I had 5 kids in my home and we attempted to make frosted sugar cookies. What was I thinking? I did most of the work. I should have stuck with the pretzel wreaths so the kids could be more involved. I still would have had Sam screaming in highchair (in a good way of course). any tips of getting a one year old not to scream so much? He loves his voice and screaming is his favorite. it's cute to a point, but not so much in a restaurant. We can't take this boy anywhere!

Photobucket

Well, this was about as far as we got on the cookies. It took lots more time then I had allotted for. I made the frosting, but only had time to frost about 9 of them. The girls loved cutting out their favorite shapes. We'll try to finish these up today.

I am so thankful to have the opportunity to participate in a cookie baking night at our Church tonight. They'll have the dough already made (I believe) and we'll just bake them off and decorate as needed. Oh, and don't let me forget to take my cookie tins with me! I can't wait to see what varieties we'll be making. And the chatting and merrymaking will be the highlight I'm sure.

I love the idea of a cooking baking party, where you actually do all the work together. I did this once at my aunt's house with all the ladies in the family and it was a lot of fun. We gathered on a Saturday and brought our own ingredients to make our favorites. But another easy way to swap cookies is to host a party where everyone brings 3 dozen cookies (already made) and then you all circle the table taking one cookie from each plate until they are all gone. You'll have a big assortment and will have only spent time making your favorite one at home. Here's a quick run-down of how to host a cookie swap if you've never been to one. I personally enjoy the making part and can't wait to do more of that with my kids as they get bigger.

So, have you ever held (or been to) a good ol' fashioned cookie swap? I'd love to hear how you did it.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Fun! I did this with a friend of mine a couple years ago - it was a blast! You're right in that it's so nice to have so many varieties without having to do all the work.
How fun to have a church event like that to do...we might have to crash your party! LOL! ;)