Friday, December 11, 2009

Day 11: Pretzel Wreaths

OK, so I'm cheating here a little and posting this recipe from last year again. I actually got the idea from Kacy's post last night. My Thursday didn't go quite as planned so I couldn't finish what I had in mind for today's real post. But that's ok, right? It probably just means I'll end up posting more than 12 days. And these really are a fun treat to make with kids of all ages.

Photobucket

*Previously posted on December 10th, 2008.

"This morning the girls and I started making gifts for our neighbors. This year we are giving them bags of the yummiest pretzel candy treats. I chose them for how kid friendly they are to make. And it was fun to talk to the girls while we were "baking" about why we give gifts at Christmas.

If you've never made these, run right now to the store and whip some up tonight. They are super easy and oh so yummy. Just remember when you eat one that you are eating a whole Hershey's kiss...it's easy to forget and 20 or so later...yeah, been there, done that.

You'll need
1 bag of ring pretzels
2 bags of kisses (hugs are fun too)
1 bag of M's
2 cute helpers don't hurt either

Helper #1

Photobucket

Ok, so the "don't smile at me...you better not smile at me" trick works. But now I just need to get them not to open their mouths with every smile.

Helper #2

Photobucket

Getting ready...

Photobucket

M's make a great diversion to keep the kisses from being eaten.

Photobucket

Now line your cookie sheet with pretzels and top each with a kiss. One bag of kisses will fill one sheet with 25 to spare.

Photobucket

The perfectionist in me only allows me to use the most perfect looking pretzels (and I even make sure they are face up). The rejects all end up here ready to be crushed for Strawberry Pretzel Salad.

Photobucket

Bake for 5 minutes at 200 degrees. The kisses won't change shape, but they will be melted and ready for you to push an M into the top to make it fill up the pretzel.

Photobucket

Put in the fridge to cool. Then hide them or they will be gone too soon!"

Eggs and Bacon alternative
Place 2 small pretzel rods a bit apart. Top with a white chocolate candy. Melt and press only yellow M's into the chocolate candy.

For an easy-to-print version of this recipe, find it here on Tasty Kitchen.

4 comments:

Tulip said...

I have to ask... where do you find circle pretzels? I remember loving this post last year, and sadly never being able to find the circles. And now, it's reposted for me to again envy your yummy little wreaths.

Any tips for shopping? Specific brand?

Thank you!

Angel said...

Ack...sorry to be showing something everyone may not be able to find. I found ours at our regular grocery store. They were on an end isle with a sort of holiday baking supplies display. They weren't with the regular pretzels. A friend in FL just mentioned that she found hers at Aldi. I bought Old Dutch brand, but I know there was also another maker of them too (can't remember their name). If you'd like I can mail you a bag or two. I'm going to the grocery store this afternoon and can ship them tomorrow or next week. I can let you know how much they are if you are interested.

Mandy said...

I had forgotten all about these...my kids LOVED making these last year (and I can't remember where I found those darn circle pretzels last year either...ARGH!)...off to the grocery I go!

Thanks for reposting!

Kacey said...

We had so much fun making these and even more fun eating them all the way to Disney! :-) One thing that I did that I couldn't tell if you did in your pictures, is line the cookie sheets with wax paper. It made it easier to pull them up after they were hard again. I can mail out the ring pretzels to anyone too:-) I think they were about $1.50 for a huge bag! I'm loving all of your posts about Christmas things!!