Thursday, October 1, 2009

A small space that packs a big punch

It's a dreary, rainy, gorgeous, fall day here in Minnesota. But instead of waiting for the sun to shine again, I took photos this morning anyway. The room is almost fully complete. Just waiting for the pink fan, and I need to swap out the curtain rod for the same white wood one that's in all the other bedrooms. Other than that, we are done! Yippee!!! See more before here and here.

Looking in from Sam's room, across the hall.

Photobucket

I love this little woodland theme of wall appliques to greet you at the door. They are available at Target right now in the kids/girl bedding section (but not on-line, I've looked and looked in hopes of providing you a link here) . The whole set was about $15. When I first spied these in Jenn's girls playroom, it was love at first sight. I love how they added more colors to the room than just the pink and green that we started with. It gave me the go ahead to choose the 4 fabrics for over the bed. Which was a sacrifice since they will no longer be used to make skirts for myself. But that's ok, there is always new fabric to fall in love with. And in here I'll get to see them everyday and they won't fade from washing. So it's all good.

Photobucket

I showed you in the last post the eye-sore of an electrical box that's on this wall. Seriously, who decides to put an electrical panel in a bedroom when the utility room is along this same outside wall. I've been wanting to cover it up since we moved here 10 years ago. Now, that is what I call procrastination patience. Or just a lack of direction, until now.

What I did: I figured out that in order to have it in the center of the wall, leaving room for the appliques on either side and not having to nail where the panel is, I had to find (4) 24"x24" canvases. The local shops didn't have anything that size so I searched on-line. I was thrilled when I found Artist Brand Canvas. They had 24" x 24", 1-5/8" wrapped canvases. So for around $50 I had the base I needed to fill the wall. I just stapled on the fabrics, from Heather Bailey's Pop Garden line, and made hospital corners so they wouldn't show on the sides. I love that I can swap out the fabric if we need to. I will probably add furring strips to the wall since I realized as I was hanging these, that the panel wasn't flat against the wall.

Photobucket




Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's another eye-sore that's found throughout the house. The dark brown intercom system. I think we've decided to just remove it and patch the walls. The house is so small that we've never needed to use it. If the doorbell wasn't connected to it I think we would have removed it years ago. But it's one of those things that's way down on the list considering we'd have to learn how to patch large holes in sheetrock. I can think of better ways to spend our Saturdays right now though.

Photobucket

And I have finally found a growth chart I can live with . I like that it's removable and adding yellow to the room seemed like a good idea. I still need to find all their well-check Dr. appt sheets so I can go back and fill in their measurements. They are going to get a kick out of being measured for the first time though.

Photobucket

So, that's it. A lot of punch packed into a teeny tiny room (about 8'x9' of usable floorspace). I can't imagine two teenagers sharing this small of a space so hopefully we'll have moved by then.

17 comments:

Jessica said...

Yeaaaa! So excited to see the big reveal! You did a great job coordinating everything. I love the fabric canvas wall - would use that even if I didn't have to cover anything - the fabrics are so pretty :) Aren't those decals the best? Love them!!! I've got an idea for A & E and their cute room, but I can't tell you about it yet...he, he, he

Shana Anderson said...

WOW! That is absolutely amazing. You did such an awesome job. WOW! I bet the girls just love it. THanks for sharing. I have a couple of rooms you can come help me with.

Jenn said...

Oh that turned out ADORABLE! I love everything SO MUCH! I totally heart the low dresser you used as their night stand too!! The room has the perfect amount of "slightly mismatched" charm that all seems to tie together (that is supposed to be a HUGE compliment...not sure if it sounds like one?) I just want to curl up in there and read a story :)

take a bow Jenn

Kori said...

SOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!

Lisa said...

I'm visiting your blog from a mutual friend's. WOW!! Love this room-- too cute. You are very talented. :)

Angel said...

Jenn, I know exactly what you mean. Thanks for compliment! I wasn't sure I'd ever get to that mis-matched point since we started to matchy-matchy, but I'm really glad I was able to do it.

Jessica, you are too too sweet!

Shana, I have no clue when it comes to boys rooms. LOL But if you want girly for yourself, I'm all over that. :)

Thanks Kori! You'll have to share pics when you get the wall stickers up too. ;)

Nice to meet you Lisa! Say "Hi" to Marcia for me if you see her first. Her knew baby looks like such a doll.

Marie said...

fantastic job! i love it!

Gay Vaughan said...

You did such an awesome job! Thanks for sharing it with us all!
~Gay~
itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

Julie said...

I love everything about this room, great job! I used the same Target wall decals in my daughter's room.

Best Life said...

So, so, so adorable! You guys did a fantastic job. I used to have intercoms too. We did eventually remove them, but in the meantime I just painted them to match the walls. Just remove the cover, spray with primer and paint with your pink. It will disappear~ Lisa~ www.livingmybestlife---lisa.blogspot.com

Angel said...

Thanks ladies!

Julie, your daughters room is adorable!

Lisa, thanks so much for the tip about painting the covers. I need to see if there's a way to turn wall paint into spray paint. I've got 4 I need to cover.

La said...

So adorable! I love everything about it! I'm in makeover mode for our girls' room and your post was really inspiring. Thanks!

Londen @ Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Oh, what a beautiful room! I love everything about it! Your right, my playroom had a very similar vibe. Glad you stopped by, off to check out more of your creative blog!
Londen

Jenglamgirl said...

Coming over from Tatortots and jello~ that room is just way to darn cute. I am in love. I adore the colors and the theme. I love the large canvas art. The colors and the prints, its all so dang cute. WAY TO GO. Jenn
larsenloves.blogspot.com

have a great day!

Angel said...

Thanks ladies! :)

KatieG said...

Hi there! I stumbled across your blog b/c I was searching for ideas to decorate my 2 daughters small bedroom. I was very excited to find something REALISTIC that I could actually see working. Most stuff online is high ceilings and dramatic furniture and on and on. This room is so adorable! You are very very talented. Thank you for sharing your ideas with those of us who are a little more challenged in the decorating area. And also, thank you for your boldness in aligning yourself with Christ. =) That made me smile. God bless you and your family.

His,
KatieG

Angel said...

Thank you Katie, for the sweet, sweet comment. :)