Friday, August 7, 2009

A public service announcement

Photobucket

You'd never know by looking at them, but all 3 kids have strep. It's a not-so-fun story that goes something like this...

Three weeks ago, I contracted strep. Two weeks ago, David got it. One week ago, I got it again. At each of our Dr. visits of course, we were told to bring the kids in if they developed any symptoms. The problem was, not a single one of them ever had any symptoms. No one had a fever, sore throat, headache, or any behavioral or eating issues to lead us to believe they didn't feel good. Sam had a runny nose and Emily a light cough and that was it! Nothing unusual. In fact, I congratulated myself on doing such a great job of not infecting the whole house.

Then I got an e-mail from my cousin saying that her two both had strep (and ear infections) and asked if my kids had gotten cultures. Unfortunately we had gone over to drop off a dress just 4 days earlier and we stayed to play. Bad idea as I'm sure we gave it to them. Nothing says "I love you" like a nice double serving of strep. Now I'm not sure what to buy her for a wedding gift. How can I ever top this?

So, off to the Dr. I toted all 3 of my kids. And as the PA was checking out the third and final child, announcing that they all look fine, I said "Well, sorry I brought 3 healthy kids in to see you today." No sooner had I gotten the sentence out of my mouth, did the nurse step in and say "they both have strep." They, meaning the girls. Now we for sure had to swipe Sam. And sure enough, he came back positive too.

Strep is supposed to be a sore throat without the usual cold or flu symptoms (stuffy/runny nose, tummy troubles). Who knew it was also the ailment without any symptoms whatsoever? From now on, whenever anyone in our home has strep, we are all getting checked. Did you know that if you have strep and don't take antibiotics that you can be contagious for 3 weeks, even though you already feel better? I feel just awful that we went anywhere and saw anybody. Who knows how long they had it for.

I heard this from a friend too:

"Sometimes we've gone into urgent care and if there aren't symptoms, they send us home saying "just a virus" when it really was strep. Learned over the years to tell the nurse as we enter the room that I want one taken right away and I am not leaving until we get one (then the DR can't back out)."

Thanks for the tip Erin!

1 comment:

Kacey & Kandy said...

Been there, done that too!! I actually think I have strep right now, but with the normal symptoms! So fun!! I will be seeing the doctor Monday!