Monday, August 10, 2009

How is your day shaping up?

Mine, not so good. It started when I took a shower (doesn't it always?) and heard thud... thud...followed by the scampering of little feet coming to tell me "Mommy, don't worry, we will put the popsicles away for you." Then I calculated how much time I thought I had left to shower before said popsicles would be completely melted. Thankfully it wasn't too bad. I guess my luck hadn't run out yet. Don't worry, it's coming.

So, after cleaning up that mess I was ready for a new project. I had the bright idea that it would be fun to curl the girls' hair. You know, to prep for their flower girl duties coming up this Sunday. I figure I'd get the ringlet look down pat before the big day. I had borrowed my Mom's 3/4" iron since I only had a big one. I cranked the heat all the way up because those things never get hot enough or stay hot the whole time. You know what I mean. I sectioned a nice little piece on the top of Allison's head, since she volunteered to be first and Emily had already made herself scarce.

Next came the smell...

And when I unrolled it, this is what I found...

*gasp*

Photobucket

Holy cow! I've never seen hair disintegrate like that before. It also turned her hair red at the singed edges that were still attached to her head. And of course, this had to be right on the top of her head.

Thankfully I was able to give that section a little trim and it's only a couple of inches shorter than the surrounding hair. I think I'm the only person that will ever notice it.

Curling is on the back burner for a while and now it's on to the next project. I wonder what the rest of the day has in store for me.

How is your day shaping up?

4 comments:

Kori said...

OH no- Positive thinking on this??? Glad it wasn't the day of the wedding and that is was fixable

It is sunny out today As I look out the window- You will have a great afternoon :) Maybe those popsicles that didn't melt can be snacks this afternoon in the sun :)

Anonymous said...

Oh My!!!
I think you handled it so well. I might have freaked out. Thank God it didn't burn her.
I also had a run wet out of the shower day. I heard a bunch of noise that I thought was serious, but it turned out to be just noise. :)
Stacy

Angel said...

Stacy, maybe we should do a kid-swap just to get our showers in. LOL

I was totally freaking out on the inside, but was being super careful not to show it in my reaction. She didn't even notice anything had happened. She kept asking if her haircut was going away. Well, almost. LOL

I'm thinking there must have been some leftover hairspray on that part of the barrel since it didn't happen under the clamp potion. Her hair is still so baby fine, so not a good combo I guess.

Kori, yes, we will need those popsicles after playing this afternoon. It is so dang hot out today!

Jessica said...

Oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my! That's scary! I would've never thought a curling iron would do that so fast!?! Glad you were able to blend it in :)

Eat one of those popsicles for me, melted and all, I LOVE the lemonade one!