Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sneak Peek and Some Bittersweet News

"3 Little Pigs" sundress starts tomorrow!

Photobucket

It's a one-of-a-kind and fits size 3T/4T/5T. I'll explain more tomorrow. ;)

And Allison is sporting a new sundress I made her yesterday. It's pretty simple now, but I'm sure I'll be adding ric rac, yo-yo's and buttons to dress it up a bit. I plan to make the girls a bunch of mix and match pieces for this summer, out of Tanya's Barefoot Roses line. I just love all of her girly fabrics. I have 7 prints from this line that have been sitting in my stash forever. i'm even thinking of a skirt for myself.

Photobucket

And on a bittersweet note...
I'm hanging up my scissors, so-to-speak.

I have had two nagging phrases whispering in my ear ever since I came back after Sam was born. They finally got loud enough that I could no longer ignore them.

"When in doubt, don't."
and
"Just because I can, doesn't mean I should."

I am glad to have finally figured out that "I" am enough. I thought that I needed to sew (as a business) to feel like I was contributing, enough. And to have something of my own, to be proud of, that others could see. But I didn't truly realize that it is enough to be the mom I know I can be. It is enough to be the wife I know I can be. It is enough to be the teacher I know my children need me to be.

Mother's day could not have come at a better time this year. While I toiled away these past few weeks, making countless stupid mistake after stupid mistake, it became crystal clear to me that I have made the right decision. I heard that message even louder after cutting out the same set of appliques not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES! And when after a several hour battle with my sewing machine, convinced that I needed to buy a new one, I took a break and came back only to realize my bobbin had become unthreaded, I knew it was over. Yes Lord, I hear you now!

With 3 kids under the age of 4 now, I find myself failing miserably at my goals. And even asking myself"What exactly are my goals?" Our Pastor preached a wonderful message on the Proverbs 31 woman on Mother's Day. Instead of beating myself up about how much I have failed, I came away from that message feeling refocused on what my goals should be. It was just what I needed!

Sometimes, to know within yourself that you can do something is just as powerful as doing it. Because I can, does not mean I should. For my family, for me, right now, this is the best decision. My family needs a less stressed, well-rested version of me.

I will continue to sew for my girls and friends, at my leisure. And I will continue this blog and will show you what I make along the way. I will also, without a doubt, miss sewing for my sweet customers and working alongside my "boutique" friends. That's what makes this so bittersweet for me.

As I look back on all that I have accomplished, it makes me smile. I have learned so much about this craft and have been inspired by so many other talented women. I am thankful for this experience and my growing love of sewing. That, I will always have.

15 comments:

Kacey & Kandy said...

Oh Angel...first, I love the sweet little dress!! I'm so sad to see you leave ebay, but I have been feeling the exact same way that you have recently. Maybe it's just the time of year when everything gets so busy, but I'm planning to take the summer off, enjoy my kids, and have a clean house!! Who knows what September will bring for me! I wish you the best and I know you are making the right decision (and your kids will thank you for that too!)
Hugs!
Kacey

Kori said...

Adorable dress I can't wait to see the girls out and about in there new clothes! Oh and you too in some new skirts! Maybe matcing ties for Sam hehe! :) You should be very proud of everything you have done and have no regrets! Enjoy the kiddos it goes so fast!

Kori

Jessica said...

Oh, Angel ~ bittersweet indeed!

That 3 lil' pigs dress is too sweet! Love the embroidery. Can't wait to see what else you come up with for A & E and for cutie pie Sam too!

Proverbs 3:5-6 comes to mind and I know you have made the right decision for you and your family. You are an amazing mom and I know the littles will love having even MORE undivided attention from their sweet mama.

I'm so thankful that we crossed paths through your ever so talented ebay business...and became friends :) The little pumpkin and I will certainly miss seeing new TaDa creations but I will love hearing about all your wonderful summer adventures. And you're so right...they're only little for such a short while!

Hugs my friend,
~Jessica

Lula Bee Boutique said...

Oh Angel, I will miss you, but I COMPLETELY understand where you are coming from. I feel like I am part way down that path myself. I know you are making the right choice in listening to that little inner voice. I am happy for you to find that peace and so happy that I can still catch up with you here and see what sweet creations you will have for your little ones. Love you!! Allison

IMH Designs said...

Love the dress!! You will be missed but hope to continue to see your designs on your little ones. Sounds like God is showing you the path to take.

God Bless,
Amy B

Stacy said...

I love that three little pigs dress...so cute!

I'm glad you will continue to share your beautiful creations. I love to see what you come up with. :) Whenever anyone suggests I make some of my stuff to sell, I just know I don't have the time and say "No". No is a good word for us women to use, and we don't use it often enough!

bella*tessa said...

Angel...what a beautiful post!! I have come to a similar point in my life. I will continue to sew through the summer (but NOT at a breakneck pace), and will make a final decision about my future then. I understand your emotions completely and know that you are making the right choice!! I've enjoyed getting to know you!

jona said...

Angel,
I totally "get" your decision and I'm so glad you have peace about it. The proverbs 31 woman is a wonderful example and we have to remind ourselves that she didn't do it all in the same season of life (sometimes I think we try to do too much all at once and God doesn't require that of us).
Have fun sewing for your little ones! I can't wait to see what you're working on!

grandmarockton said...

Hope you will continue with the blog, as I've enjoyed your familys going and growing and maybe you'll enjoy the sewing for family MORE because of your decision. Be True to Your Heart!

Olivia*Kate said...

Angel :)
I was sad to hear you're leaving ebay but understand why you need to. I know you have the Lord in your heart and nothing is more important than Him and taking care of your precious family. You have always been very grounded in your faith and family values. Take care of yourself and your family. You will be in my prayers :) Cassie

Angel said...

Thank you all for your sweet sweet words of encouragement. This really is bittersweet for me.

I figure I've only got 2-3 more years left that the girls will want to wear what I make for them, so you bet I will keep on sewing for my sweet angels. And I will be sure to show it off here. I'll treat it more as a "tips and tricks" blog and tell you where to find the patterns and fabrics I use.

((HUGS)) to all...

~Angel

Chris said...

I know so many of us designers are going through this but it's still nice to hear your story.


I too have been seriously contemplating closing shop. (for the second time for me, lol)

The stresses of the business will never be understood by buyers and with the economy it no longer makes the stress of it all worth the while.

I keep having this one reoccurring thought come to my mind...

Instead of the fisherman giving the hungry man fish to eat he taught him how to fish. So this past week I've been working on ebooks to do just that.

I am so proud of you for listening to your inner voice and making the tough decision you've made. Your follow through is an inspiration to me as I make my very own plans to "hang up my scissors" as well.

Sending you the best wishes,

Christie

Angel said...

Thanks Christie!

I just checked out your eBooks, way to go! What a great idea to turn your business in a new direction. I've wanted to go that route too, but just couldn't think of anything to write up (the one I thought I could do was already out there...rats). I guess I'm better at buying them, than making them. LOL

Good luck to you!

~Angel

LilyHaven said...

What a beautiful, thoughtful and heartfelt post. It brought a tear to my eyes. I know what you're going through, and I too have felt the same feels that you have. Family comes first, and that's all the matters. You seem like such a wonderful person. Your children and hubby are so lucky to have you.

Best of luck with everything.

Shannon

Angel said...

Thank you Shannon. You are so sweet. :)