Thursday, April 2, 2009

Resurrection Eggs

Photobucket

Are you looking for a creative way to teach your children about the true meaning of Easter and why we celebrate the life, death and Resurrection of Jesus? I'm finding that this year the idea of Easter Candy and the Easter Bunny seem to be all-consuming. For instance, at bedtime I hear this most every night: "Dear Jesus, thank you for Easter Candy" or "Dear Jesus, thank you for the Easter Bunny" or "Dear Jesus, thank you for strawberries that remind me of Easter candy."

A friend recommended this blog and I wanted to share it with you all as well. Shannon teaches you how to make your own set of Resurrection Eggs, which I plan to do next week. If you aren't feeling creative this year, you can also buy them from Family Life Ministries, there is still time. We went to one of Family Life's marriage conferences (A Week-end to Remember) a couple years ago and they had them for sale there. Right now I'm wondering why I didn't just buy them back then.

I like her idea of making a set for each child, so they can have their own carton of eggs. I'll be making 3 of them this year. Hmmm...wishing I hadn't just thrown away an egg carton yesterday. Dave and I went to Israel 8 years ago. If you ever get the chance to go, I highly recommend it, it was life-changing. I have a whole scrapbook of photos I took that will also help me tell our children about Jesus' life and death on the cross, to pay the penalty for our sins and his resurrection 3 days later. I think this will really capture their attention and will become a meaningful family tradition.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

Great idea! We made these at MOPS last year and I saved it so next year I'll have to show Audrey all about it - I don't think she'd quite 'get it' this year.

You're a great mommy!!
~M

Jill said...

These are my favorite! we use these every year...the children love them! I LOVE your clothing line! Thanks for stopping by "a pocket full of posies!"
Blessings!