Wednesday, January 14, 2009

National Bankruptcy Day

Save Handmade Toys


In these difficult economic times, our government passed a poorly written law last August, H.R. 4040, the Consumer Protection Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA). This law goes into effect on February 10th, which has been dubbed National Bankruptcy Day because of all the people that it will put out of business. In an effort to keep our children safe from lead poisoning (which I am all for) they wrote a very broad piece of legislation that also affects handmade one-of-a-kind pieces of clothing, not just the metal trinkets we import from other countries. How exactly is the handmade clothing that I make for my customers (who don't chew on them) dangerous? It's not! But now I have to prove it.

The law requires that all items intended for sale to children under the age of 12 (including clothing), be tested for lead. This is an expensive process and one that requires the destruction of the actual garment. There is no way I can afford the chemical testing necessary, and if I could, the mere testing of my clothing would leave me with nothing to sell as it would be destroyed in the process.

I have done my part by signing a petition and writing letters. Please join me in saving the handmade items we all love by doing your part too. Kristen of Gock's Frocks has a great blog post with all the necessary links. She was also interviewed by her local news station. You can check out the news clip here. Way to go Kristen!

No comments: