Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Super Summer Salad

I've been wanting to make this salad all summer, and I finally did today. The ingredients looks long, but it really didn't take much effort to make and it was so worth it. I've stayed away from this recipe becasue of the peanut butter, which I'm not supposed to eat while pregnant. :( Well, I couldn't resist it any longer. I promise not to make it again until next summer though...does that count?

Add a side of fully ripened Colorado peaches (the only kind worth buying in my opinion) and this is the perfect end-of-summer meal.

Photobucket

Crunchy Asian Noodle Salad (Ina Garten)

½ lb thin spaghetti

1 lb sugar snap peas

1 C vegetable oil

½ C rice vinegar

½ C soy sauce

3 Tb dark sesame oil

1 Tb honey

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tsp grated ginger

2 Tb white sesame seeds, toasted

½ C smooth peanut butter

1 tsp salt (I would omit next time)

1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

2 red bell peppers thinly sliced

4 scallions (w/green parts, sliced diagonally)

1 Tb white sesame seeds toasted

3 Tb chopped fresh parsley

Cook spaghetti, drain, set aside. Boil water with salt add peas, cook 3 minutes tender crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and immerse in bowl of ice water, drain (I think you can skip this part, the peas are a little too cooked for my taste).

Dressing – whisk oil, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, garlic, ginger, 2 Tb sesame seeds, peanut butter, salt to taste and pepper.

Combine pasta, peas, peppers and scallions. Pour dressing over. Add scallions and parsley, mix again. Sprinkle with 1 Tb sesame seeds.


*I added cooked chicken to ours. Allison loved it, I think the long noodles made it fun for her. But Emily came to the table and said "What's that?" and ran away. I did manage to get her to eat about 4 bites though, mostly chicken.

$$ This is fairly inexpensive to make. Expect to pay $6.75 if you have enough soy sauce and the sesame oil on hand and don't add chicken. But if you need to buy the soy sauce and sesame oil, as I did, then add $8 to the cost. I'm not counting things like the pasta or PB, since you probably already have that in your pantry.

4 comments:

jona said...

That looks (and sounds) delicious! I love Asian dishes with peanut and sesame oil. And the price is great (for stuffing a large family)! Thanks for sharing this Angel!

TaDa! Creations said...

I'm so glad I tried this one, I think you will love it Jona. Definitely don't cook the peas, they didn't need it. It makes a ton of dressing so if you don't use as much pasta (like me), don't put it all on. The dressing kind of separates by the next day.

~Angel

Tam said...

OH YUM!!!!!! This is something im going to try!

lissilulu said...

Hi, I found you through a long line of blogs...can't remember exactly how. LOL!
Congratulations on your newest baby coming...saw it on the sidebar.

I also design girls clothing and sometimes handbags from recycled furniture showroom fabrics (I like the girls clothing the best)and am mom to 5 kids here in Washington State. :o)
Lori