Thursday, July 3, 2008

Painting and Decorating...What fun!

Last week was filled with household projects, the least of which was painting the girls' new Big Girl room. I asked them what color room they wanted and they both declared PINK right away (thank goodness!). So I taped color swatches to the wall and they each, individually, picked the same color. How cute is that! I did have to change it a bit once I decided on bedding sets. I went to PB Kids to match them and found I needed one a little less blue (shhh...don't tell the girls on me).

So we hyped it up all week by asking if they wanted to help paint their new room. They couldn't wait for the big day to arrive. They kept calling it their office since it used to be Daddy's office. I decided to paint most of it myself and leave some white space for them to paint on and then quick roller over it for the final finish. It worked perfectly!

A little bit about the paint - I got the idea to use a fun green for the upper wall in their room from this post by Jenn of takeabowcreations. It's Sherwin Williams Melange Green SW 6710. The pink I chose is called Partytime SW 6849. Did you know that Home Depot will match those colors too? They even had the color codes already in their system! Did you also know that if you wrap your brush in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge you can use it the next day? I love that trick, because I hate having to wash out my brush when I'm going to need it for the same color a little later.


Before
Photobucket


During
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
After
Not the best shot, but the lighting was bad that time of day,
I promise I'll show more when the room is all done.
Photobucket
Their room is teeny tiny at just 10'x10' so not much else will fit besides two twin beds, which are already on their way. Oh and we have a lovely fuse box to hide on the wall that I painted green. I've decided to hang 3-4 rectangular canvases, vertically, so one can cover it fully. I'll either paint or applique something to stretch over the frame to match their bedding. The lower portion of that wall will be covered in white beadboard.
Here's how I will be decorating their room.
White Iron Beds
Photobucket
Penelope Bedding from Pottery Barn Kids - my FAV
(you might remember that I made my Sweet Tweet collection using the sheets from this set)
Photobucket
Felt Birds and Nest
This is already hanging in front of their window
Photobucket

9 comments:

jona said...

Using the Penelope line as sheets?? What a concept! LOL!

Every little girl needs to have a pink room at some point in their life. Too darling!

little pumpkin grace said...

Cute, cute! Can't wait to see the finished product. LOVE that nest!
~Jessica

Lynn said...

I LOVE those felt birds!!! I almost bought them for my Chloe. She is DYING for a pink room too!!! I have been just too drained to do it! Your girls will appreciate the time you took to do it for them!!!

Lynn

Kori said...

Too cute - It is going to be so adorable!

Jenn said...

Such fun! Everything is looking GREAT! I love that line from PB too! If we had had another girl I would have used that for the nursery :)

Be sure to share the finished projects!!!

take a bow Jenn

Lula Bee Boutique said...

They look like they LOVED helping mommy!!! Can't believe you came off your "secret" Heehee!

TaDa! Creations said...

I can't believe we are still not done with the rooms. but we should be after this week-end. Except for bedskirts, curtains and wall art that I will make with Heather's Freshcut fabrics. I've been sewing yo-yo's to make throw pillows with. So much fun! i never had a pink room so I think I'm enjoying this even more than the girls.

Hehehe, Allison, I figured by now it wasn't a secret anymore.

Jona, I think I prefer it as bedding becasue I'll get to look at it every day. LOL

~Angel

crochetdlane said...

Wow everything is so cute!!! LOVE those little felt birds!!

Lindsay

sweetfunkyvintage said...

I absolutely adore the felt birds in the nest!! Did you make them yourself?? Have any tips???
Thanks for visiting our blog!
Missy