Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Little Ballerina and other fun books

Photobucket

I am so excited! I won another copy of my favorite book from childhood, "Little Ballerina." A sweet story about Carol who wants to be a ballerina. Her Mother even sews her a tutu for her recital. How crafty! My copy of this book is held up with quite a bit of gold packing tape from the 70's and is in well-loved condition. The one I just bought looks to be in great condition, I can't wait for it to arrive. I never thought I would be this excited about a book I already own!

If you have never seen this book, you are seriously missing out. There are a few more
available on eBay right now and they pop up quite often. I have the giant size by rand McNally, but it looks like it was also printed in a Golden Book size too. I've seen them go for over $30 in the past.

The illustrations are my favorite part. They remind me of the "Leave it to Beaver" days. The girls already love reading it with me and now they will each have their own copy to take with them. Here are some close-ups of some of my favorite pagesl.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Another fun find I found (say that 10 times fast), is a Ballerina growth chart with illustrations taken right from this book. Of course the maker doesn't give credit to the book, but the pictures are the same. I'm not crazy about all the stars in the background, but it's still cute. And I love that it's collapsable since we don't have room for a permanent wall growth chart for the girls.


Photobucket
While I'm on the subject of books, here are a few more well-loved ones that you might enjoy for yourself.
Photobucket
I loved this one as a kid too. There are 6 scratch and sniff stickers throughout the book. Our girls learned that their noses were for smelling from reading this book with them.
Photobucket
Photobucket
I also picked up another scratch and sniff book that we love. "Little Bunny Follows His Nose."
Photobucket
Another favorite that I can't find in our house right now is "The Sailor Dog." Scupper's is a very resourceful little dog who gets lost at sea. This is another personal favorite that every kid should have.
Photobucket

5 comments:

little pumpkin grace said...

Love that "Little Ballerina" book! I've never heard of it before so I'll have to check it out - such cute illustrations!! What a great idea about the scrach-n-sniff book!!! I'll definitely try that with Grace :)
~Jessica

SweetSue59 said...

You know I used to "The Little Ballerina", and also I had a book by the same author there was a story about a little girl that is a baton twirler and one about a little girl who does water ballet. I wish I held on to them but I donated them when I turned 11 or 12. I thought they were too babyish! Oh well!

SweetSue59 said...

You know I used to "The Little Ballerina", and also I had a book by the same author there was a story about a little girl that is a baton twirler and one about a little girl who does water ballet. I wish I held on to them but I donated them when I turned 11 or 12. I thought they were too babyish! Oh well!

Angel said...

Oh my! It never occurred tome to see if this author had written more books. The other two sound divine too. I can't wait to get my hands on those. There are several things from my childhood I wish I hadn't parted with as well too. Like my original Cabbage Patch Doll (hand signed by Xavier Roberts) and all the Madame Alexander dolls my Mother had collected for me. *sigh*

miniaturista said...

Tambien es mi libro favorito de infancia, estoy buscandolo para comprarlo, me lo trajo mi padre de America y me lo tiraron a la basura, tengo mucha nostalgia, además de lo que me gustaba me encantaria tenerlo de recuerdo de mi padre, era un cuento muy dulce y también quisiera escanearlo para hacerlo en miniatura, para mis casa de muñecas y la de mi hija.
Un abrazo y felicidades por tener ese libro.
Maite