Saturday, April 26, 2008

Chicken Enchiladas

I am in the process of making 3 big pans of chicken enchiladas today so I thought I'd share my recipe. A good friend of mine had a baby last week and I am bringing these to her family for dinner tonight and I love making it in big batches are freezing one. If you are going to the trouble of making them, you might as well get the most out of it you can. When freezing a pan, just thaw and then bake as directed. Yumm-O!

We woke to snow on the ground today, and it just feels like a great day to stand by a hot oven all day long. I'm baking a cake and cookies today as well.

I am a HUGE fan of enchiladas. I order them anytime we eat at a Mexican restaurant and I have made several versions of them at home. This one is by far my favorite. I'm not a fan of the pre-made sauce in the can or the envelope type, so I love that the sauce for this one is homemade. This recipe comes from my cousin's cousin, Nicole.

Chicken Enchiladas ~ Time consuming but so worth it!
3 C enchilada sauce (see below)
2 C shredded cooked chicken (I like to cook mine in a crock-pot earlier to make the stock from it for the sauce as well)
½ C thinly sliced green onions
¾ C shredded cheddar (I use more like 1 C)
¾ C shredded Monterey Jack (I use more like 1 C)
¼ C sour cream (extra for garnish)
4 oz can diced green chilis (I'm leaving these out for the new Mommies)
Canola oil, as needed
¼ C chopped fresh cilantro (I omit)
Salt and pepper to taste
12 6” corn tortillas
Non-stick cooking spray
Enchilada sauce (I usually double this because I like a lot of sauce)
2 T canola oil
2 T flour
2 T chili powder
1 tsp cumin
14 oz can chicken broth
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp garlic powder


Heat oven to 350.

Prepare enchilada sauce. Heat oil in a pan, add chili powder, cumin and flour to it and cook for a few minutes (it's like making a roue). Once it's bubbly add the sauce while whisking so you don't get lumps. Thin is out with the broth and add the salt and garlic powder.

In a medium bowl, mix chicken, green onions, ½ C cheddar, ½ C Monterey Jack, sour cream, chilies and cilantro. Stir in ½ C enchilada sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Heat ½” oil in large pan. Fry tortillas, one at a time, until soft (10 seconds per side). Drain on paper towels. Spray 9”x13” baking dish with non-stick spray. Spread small amount of sauce on bottom of dish. Spread 2 heaping tablespoons of chicken mixture in each tortilla and roll up. Place seam side down, side by side in dish. Pour remaining sauce over top. Top with remaining cheeses and bake until bubbling, 15-20 minutes. Garnish with extra sour cream, sliced green onions and chopped cilantro. I usually put these in 2 8x8 foil pans and freeze one before cooking for a future meal since one large pan is too much for our family.


*I sometimes use this method to bake my chicken beforehand. Place your chicken in a 9x13” pan and add about 1” of water to the pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 30-45 min or until cooked through.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

THANK YOU for this! I have a couple friends that I need to bring meals to and I could NOT think of what to bring. This will be perfect!! :)

Jenn said...

Yummmmm....bring some on over!! Those sound good :) Maybe I'll see if I can get my hubby to cook some up for me tonight ;)

I'm sure those will be a hit!

Take a bow Jenn