Thursday, March 27, 2008

Spicy Cajun Shrimp

Now this isn't something we have fed the girls, it's been more of a special dinner that I make after they are tucked in bed and we settle in to watch Lost on Thursday nights. I've made it 3 times so far and have loved it every time.

Spicy Cajun Shrimp
1or 1-1/2 lb large shrimp deveinded (I used frozen since we are in MN)
1 whole lemon, cut into slices (not necessary, but fun)
8 Tb butter
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 Tb Cajun seasoning (I use half because like I said above we are in MN hehe)
1 tsp coarse salt
1 tsp ground pepper
2 Tb Worcestershire sauce (I omit as I'm not a fan of the taste)
dash of hot sauce (I omit because it's already hot enough for us Minnesotans)
1/2 fresh French bread loaf, sliced

Serves 4 (but the two of us usually polish it off just fine)

Melt butter over med-low heat. Add garlic and saute a few minutes. Add Cajun seasoning and stir well. Add salt, pepper and Worcestershire and hot sauces.

Arrange shrimp in a baking dish and cover with Cajun butter. Toss well to make sure it's evenly distributed. Top with lemon slices.

Bake shrimp uncovered 10 minutes. Stir and continue baking until the shrimp turn uniformly pink and all of the translucence is gone from the thickest part of the bodies, about 2 minutes more.

Transfer the shrimp to individual serving bowls (like small pasta bowls) and divide butter sauce among the bowls. Serve immediately with sliced bread to sop up the heavenly sauce!

We love seafood, especially shrimp but I had never known what to do with it at home. So back when our grocery store had an amazing coupon, buy one, get 2 free! I splurged and bought the $20 bag of frozen deveined shrimp. Still not sure what to do with them, they sat in the freezer for about a month and then I discovered Relish. I was thrilled to find this recipe and now it's one of our favorites. We aren't super big on spicy food (did I tell you we are from MN? LOL the land of bland), but you can certainly adjust this recipe to suit your taste. I hope you try it! Happy eating. :)

1 comment:

little pumpkin grace said...

Angel,

You crack me up with your condiment comments!!! Lance is the chef in our family and I must say since we are in Louisiana, we like it SPICY! Tony Cachere's, Tabasco sauce, Louisiana Hot Sauce - you name it we add it to our food! I do however draw the line at "Dave's Insanity Sauce" which comes with a warning label and can make a grown man cry :)
~Jessica