Friday, March 7, 2008

Red Velvet

I love to bake and just cook in general, probably a little more than the next guy. Especially if it's for a big crowd or a special event and my kitchen is clean to start with. But it's the day to day "What's for dinner?" question that I find my self saying "How about pancakes again?" I have that partially solved, but I will save that for a later post (hey, I've got to fill this blog with something don't I?).

I have never understood the fascination with Red Velvet cake. I mean the name is intriguing, but when I look at the recipes it doesn't seem like it could live up to all the hype (people choosing it for their wedding cake, etc...). So...since I've never actually tasted it before I thought yesterday was the perfect time to try it out. You see, A was walking around saying "I need cake Mommy" and we had just replenished our butter and powdered sugar reserves so I knew I could fulfill that wish.

Paula has never let me down before so I eagerly picked her recipe and the girls happily took their viewing spots. I loaded their trays up with lots of "Yummy M's" (that's M&M's) to keep them occupied and set off to bake the perfect cupcakes.

Anticipation
Photobucket

Surely something this red can't be good for you!
Photobucket

I will never make it as a food stylist. LOL
Photobucket

After all that, I still don't see what all the fuss is about. They didn't taste quite like what I had hoped for. But hey, put cream cheese frosting on anything and I'll eat it (maybe even cooked carrots). It could be that I baked them too long, or because I used the old vinegar and milk replacement for buttermilk trick (hey, it works for pancakes). But I am willing to give it another try in about 32 more years (umm...make that 33).

7 comments:

Isabel Inspired Designs said...

LOL, Hi Angel! You crack me up! I LOVE red velvet cake but it can't be just any red velvet cake. Have tried the store bought which was horrid, martha stewart, Paula too, and nothing met up to my standard. My dear cousin passed away several years ago but for many years before that he would bring this AWESOME homemade 4layer red velvet cake to the family gatherings. Wouldn't share his recipe with anyone it was so good. lol. His brother has the recipe now but won't make it for anyone. lol. So, that is my love/hate relationship with red velvet cake. I am with you too, put cream cheese iciing on anything and i will give it a go. :)
LOVE your new blog too, you are a natural, thanks for adding me to your sidebar, I am putting you on mine too:)

Lesa

Angel said...

See you really do inspire me! I totally forgot that you had a post with Red Velvet cake on it. I couldn't remember where I had seen it recently. I just had a picture of it in my mind and sure enough it was from your Blog. LOL If you ever get a hold of that recipe, I would love a copy as well. I just got back from a haircut I'm not thrilled about, so I think some left over frosting is in my future. hehe Thanks for adding me to your sidebar!
~Angel

Tam said...

Hey Angel:) Thanks for the comment!!! I LOVE your blog and I love the playlist! Im needing one of hose! Have fun blogging:)
Tam

Angel said...

Hi Tam, thanks so much! LOL I love the music too, I've had it on most of the day since I'm locked in my "studio". :)

Isabel Inspired Designs said...

Aw, you are too sweet! I am happy to actually inspire somebody, lol.
How is the haircut?? Did you finish off the frosting?
Thanks for signing up for my mailing list, I am going to go hunt for yours now:)
Lesa

Angel said...

Well the hair is unfortunately a little too reminiscint of a really bad one I had just beofre my girls were born. Gone is the security of the pony-tail. But it will grow, and the frosting is just about gone. ;)

~Angel

Christa said...

Yum yum yum!! I have never had red velvet cake...looks great. :)

Thank you so much for your comment on my blog!

Christa